What Is Oil Pulling? Benefits,Side Effects
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique, it is also known as “Kavala” or “Gandosha” in Ayurveda. It is mainly used for oral health. It is believed that by doing oil pulling, the harmful bacteria inside the mouth stick to the oil and come out, which removes bad breath, keeps the gums and teeth healthy and removes from the mouth.
How to do Oil Pulling ?
Coconut oil for oil pulling
Before knowing the benefits of oil pulling, let us know how to do it. It is very important to do oil pulling properly, in this some important things have to be taken care of. How to do oil pulling is explained below.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil inside the mouth.
- Now stand comfortably in one place or sit down.
- Swirl the oil around your mouth, like you do when rinsing with water.
- Keep in mind one thing that the oil should not go inside the body, you do not have to swallow the oil.
- It contains many bad bacteria that can harm the body.
- Keep swirling the oil around the mouth like this for 5-10 minutes.
- When the oil turns white in color, spit it out.
- After that rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Finally, clean your teeth with toothpaste and brush.
Benefits of Oil Pulling | Oil Pulling Benefits
The benefits of oil pulling are not just limited to keeping teeth and gums healthy, but it has a long list of benefits. Due to the destruction of harmful bacteria, the body remains healthy and it is also good for oral health, let us know about the benefits of oil pulling.
1. Removes bad breath
Halitosis is a serious problem and many times people have to face embarrassment due to it. With the help of oil pulling, you can get rid of this problem. By this method, the bacteria present inside the mouth stick with the oil and come out, which removes tooth decay and gets rid of bad breath. Harmful bacteria are a major cause of bad breath.
2. Helpful in removing swelling of the gums
Swollen gums or bleeding gums are a common problem. The benefits of oil pulling also include removing swelling of the gums. Oil pulling gets rid of the bad bacteria that cause damage to the gums, thereby eliminating the problem of gum inflammation and bleeding gums and keeps the gums strong for a long time. This technique has been used for years to keep gums healthy.
3. Oil Pulling for Teeth
If you want to get rid of toothache, tooth tingling, yellow teeth, tooth decay and dirt accumulated in the teeth, then you should start doing oil pulling. Oil pulling with sesame oil, sunflower oil or coconut oil can get rid of all these problems related to teeth. Actually, these oils have anti-inflammatory properties, which get rid of gum inflammation, tooth decay and harmful bacteria and make teeth strong and shiny.
4. Benefits of Oil Gargling for Cavities
One of the main causes of tooth cavities is harmful bacteria inside the mouth. These bacteria are the cause of plaque in the teeth, which causes the teeth to become hollow and weak from inside. Oil pulling gets rid of these harmful bacteria that cause damage to the teeth, due to which the teeth and gums become strong from inside and get rid of the problem of cavity. In this way, the benefits of oil pulling are also good for the cavity of the teeth.
5. Benefits of Oil Pulling for Skin
Oil pulling benefits for skin
The benefits of oil pulling are also good for the skin. By rinsing with oil, you get rid of pimples, acne and increase the glow on the face. If you have frequent pimples on your face and the face remains very dry and lifeless, then oil pulling technique can be very beneficial for you. Oil pulling with sesame oil and coconut oil is considered most beneficial for the skin.
6. Relief from mouth ulcers
If you are troubled by mouth ulcers, then you should do oil pulling with coconut oil. As mentioned above, coconut oil has antioxidant and antibacterial properties that eliminate the bad bacteria inside the mouth, thereby providing relief from ulcers inside the mouth or on the tongue. Not being healthy of the stomach or heat of the stomach is also a big reason for mouth ulcers, so be sure to pay attention to it too.
7. Works as a body detox
Oil pulling technique also acts as a body detox in a way, that is, it removes the toxins present in the body. Actually, the bad bacteria inside the mouth are very harmful for health and due to them many types of toxins i.e. poisonous substances accumulate in the body. Oil pulling gets rid of these bad bacteria and toxins do not accumulate in the body.
8. Benefits of Oil Pulling to Increase Immunity
Oil pulling means that the benefits of rinsing with oil are also good for increasing immunity. The removal of harmful elements from the body increases the immunity of the body, that is, the power to fight diseases and the body stays away from diseases. Oil pulling is so effective in getting rid of viruses and bad bacteria that oil pulling is also advised by the Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India to avoid corona virus.
Some other benefits of oil pulling.
- Oil pulling techniques are beneficial for maintaining hormonal balance.
- Oil pulling with sesame oil or coconut oil is beneficial for throat infection.
- It is also very beneficial for hair to rinse with oil, it reduces hair fall and keeps hair strong.
- Oil pulling techniques are also very effective in maintaining metabolism.
- Oil pulling increases energy in the body.
- It also gives relief in the problem of headache.
- It also removes the problem of dry mouth
Best Oil for Oil Pulling
No special type of oil is required for oil pulling. You can do oil pulling with coconut oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil, or any edible oil.Coconut oil is considered the best for oil pulling and we would also advise you to do oil pulling with this. If you have any kind of allergy to coconut oil, then you can do oil pulling with sesame oil or sunflower oil.
Along with this, oil pulling can also be done with mustard oil. Keep in mind that the oil should be pure for oil pulling, avoid using adulterated oil.
How does oil pulling works?
Thousands of harmful bacteria are present inside our mouth, which are not able to get out of the body after rinsing with normal water, whereas by doing oil pulling, these bacteria stick with the oil and get out. There are many benefits to the body by getting them out, especially the benefits of oil pulling for oral health are great.
Right Time For Oil Pulling
Although you can do oil pulling at any time of the day, but the best time to do oil pulling is considered to be “morning time”. Even in Ayurveda, oil pulling in the morning (without eating anything) is considered the best. After drinking warm water in the morning, you can do oil pulling after getting fresh.
Oil Pulling Side Effects
Along with the advantages of oil pulling, there can be some disadvantages as well which you should also be aware of. The disadvantages of oil pulling are as follows.
1. Do oil pulling carefully, while doing oil pulling, do not swallow the oil by mistake, by doing so the body may have to suffer serious harm because harmful bacteria are found in the oil.
2. If you have any kind of allergy to oil, then you should avoid doing oil pulling.
3. Oil pulling can also affect the taste of the mouth and it can cause the problem of loss of taste in the food, so you should use oil pulling 30-40 minutes before the meal.
4. Do not do oil pulling with small children, small children can swallow the oil, which can cause many problems.
5. Talking further about the disadvantages of oil pulling, some people may have problems like nausea or vomiting due to oil pulling, it can happen in the beginning.
How is rinsing with oil more beneficial than rinsing with water?
There are thousands of bacteria present inside our mouth, which are not able to come out even after rinsing with normal water, while rinsing with oil, these bacteria stick with the oil and come out in large numbers. In this way, rinsing with oil i.e. oil pulling is more beneficial. But this also does not mean that you should rinse with oil instead of water throughout the day. Washing with water also has its own benefits.
Q. Who should not do oil pulling?
A. Oil pulling people and young children should not do oil pulling. Young children can swallow the oil while doing oil pulling, which can cause serious damage.
Q. What is the right time to do oil pulling?
A. The best time to do this is in the morning. Doing stale mouth oil pulling in the morning is considered most beneficial.
Q. Which oil should be used for oil pulling?
A. Coconut oil is considered the best for oil pulling. Along with this, you can also use sesame oil and sunflower oil.
Q. Can I do oil pulling with mustard oil?
A. Yes, you can do oil pulling with mustard oil too. You will also get full benefits by doing oil pulling with mustard oil.
Q. How long should oil pulling be done?
A. You can do oil pulling for 10-15 minutes. In the beginning, you can do oil pulling for 5 minutes as per your capacity.
Q. What should be done after oil pulling?
A. After doing oil pulling, first rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and after that the teeth with toothpaste and brush